6.30.2006

The Spain diaries: Ñever Again


A bit of cool activist history: The Atlantic Ocean and Cantabrian Sea provide so many jobs here in Galicia that in 2000 when the oil tanker Prestige was trapped at sea and snapped in half (as a result of then-president Aznar´s inaction on the eve of the crisis) so many who earned their living from the sea went without work for as long as a year due to the massive loss of local sea life... and Spaniards from all over the country came by the busload to help clean the beaches. They now wave the NUNCA MÁIS flag, but it´s black where it should be white...NEVER AGAIN.

Day three in S de C, things are going swimmingly. Lots of shenanigans from the students, but I´ve been known to act like a teenager myself, so the odds are even. Last night I bought a black beret, or ¨boina¨ to see if they´re as cool in person as they are on the heads of Galician and Basque folk I´ve seen in movies from the region. I´ve always wanted one. They´re way cooler on older men than on me, though. I got my hands on a national team jersey, too.