12.01.2006

will gesture inappropriately for poem

Mexico's new president, Felipe Calderon, was sworn in today against a hum of tension and protest bubbling from supporters of valiant runner-up Andrés López Obrador. Obrador has threatened to launch his own government, and it sounds like he has the crazy, rioting people behind him to make it happen. I have decided to start my own government as well.

Today at IHOP, as I finished my last bite of Swedish pancakes with some strange berries on top, I hesitantly gave Jean the finger. It went like this:

NATE: Jean, when do I get a poem?
JEAN: Well, you have to DO something first.
(Nate gives Jean the nasty middle finger in a family-friendly environment.)
JEAN: oooooooh.
NATE: That good enough?

Ok, I embellished a bit at the end there, but the finger did fly. And, for the record, it was a sullen event- the finger was not happy to be isolated like that. I hope that's sufficient fodder for one of JP's verses.

I also solicited more compound words from the five MFA students around the table (all are Composition and Creative Writing teaching assistants, as well)...here's the good stuff:

BACKDRAFT
BITCHSLAP
COCKBLOCK
UPCHARGE (my waitress did that to me)
PITCHFORK

'em are some hum dingers.